The main objectives of Highway Patrols are controlling Traffic, enforcement of Traffic Laws, prevention of Road Accidents, providing immediate attention and assistance to victims of accidents, handling of Law & Order issues, and enforcement of Laws on Highways, etc. Each Highway Police Vehicle is assigned an &lsquoOperational area&rsquo and a Base Station. The Officers and men are deployed for duty in the Highway Police from various Police Stations in the District.
The two Highway patrols in Pathanamthitta District are
1.Kilo 30 &ndash Enathu to Idingillam (Base Station &ndash Adoor)
2.Kilo 31 &ndash Pathanamthitta to Thiruvalla (Base Station &ndash Pathanamthitta)
The duties and responsibilities of the Highway Police Personnel
- Traffic Enforcement with a view to avoid road accidents and bring immediate relief to victims of accident.
- Traffic control at the places where there are chances of traffic jams at and places where people gather in large numbers such as Schools, Places of Worship, Hospitals etc.
- Attend to all L&O issues on the Highways.
- Attend any distress call from any person on Highway.
- Check for any illicit transportation of contraband articles, smuggling of goods, stolen vehicles etc.
- Attend to all information regarding crimes of trivial in nature on the Highways in time.
- To render assistance to the traveling public on the Highways, as and when needed with care and courtesy.
- Act as a moving Police Station to help public .