District Special Branch , Pathanamthitta.
Came into existence
This office is headed by one Deputy Superintendent of Police. This office started functioning formally from 1-4-1983. This is a part and parcel of District Police Office. The District Special Branch is the intelligence organization of District Superintendent of Police. The main responsibility of District SB is to collect and supply information on all Political and Communal matters and on all activities affecting or likely to affect law and order or security. As a help in this direction, a special staff of plain clothes men are provided as District Special Branch Staff. The staff to be employed in the District SB are specially selected. The personal must be well educated, intelligent and reliable and must posses powers of quick observations. They must also have a flair for intelligence work. Recruitment to the District SB is made only from the Police Force.
Duties of District Special Branch
- To collect all information affecting law and order in the district and to inform the District Police Chief, then and there, especially relating to Political and Communal.
- To cover public meetings, processions, demonstrations etc and to report the proceedings and the important speeches.
- To scrutinize newspapers, pamphlets and other publications and report matters affecting law and order and other matters in which action required from Police.
- To watch the movement and activities of Political and Foreign suspects and to keep surveillance over them, if necessary.
- To conduct verification of character and antecedents.
- To deal with all matters connected the registration of foreigners.
- To attend to the work relating to Passports, VISAs, Permits etc.
- To assist in the arrangements for the security of high personnel visiting or staying in the district.
- To implement security scheme for vital installations in the security point of view.
- To make special enquiries and to assist at investigation of interested crimes which are undetected.
- To report the circulation of rumours, news, letters, posters, leaflets etc likely to disturb the public peace or to create communal disturbance.
District Special Branch Pathanamthitta is now functioning at District police office Pathanamthitta
The District Special Branch Pathanamthitta comprises of one DySP , 4 Sub Inspectors, 4 Assistant Sub Inspectors , 23 Senior Civil Police Officers and one Civil Police officer.